Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Huehuetenango Guatemala

I've been talking to a guy named Edwin who owns a farm in Guatemala (Finca Vista Hermosa) for a bit and he said he's brought a few groups down to do a coffee tour.  I think it would be cool to get a group together to go down there, but I'm not sure how much interest there is in it.  So I thought I'd drop a line out there to you guys and see.

Here are the details as told to me by Edwin:
It would happen sometime between February and April.  The trip would last 8 days.  Tour of Antigua and Huehuetenango, some culture and history, all focused on coffee.  We would visit drymills and a few coffee farms.  Will hike through the coffee to the ridges to see over the mountain range into Mexico.  And will get our hands dirty picking, depulping, fermenting, washing, drying, and bagging the coffee. The trip would cost about $1100 per person plus airfare and any incidentals (souvenirs, etc.).  Everything else would be covered.
He says it's pretty safe.  It's safer being in a group and these guys know areas to stay away from.  So it should be fine, but it is a tough country so anything is possible.

It would be a beautiful trip and very educational.  Getting to participate in so much of the coffee processing and experiencing the feel of it all, the unique smells, and sights would be a pretty amazing trip, even for me.

I just wanted to throw that out there and see if anyone is interested at all.  We'd need 12-15 people to go in order to make it worthwhile.  Let me know what you think.  And feel free to email me or post here with any questions.

2 comments:

Miguel said...

Impressive, if I wasn't in school, helping to plan a wedding and so on. I would love to attend. I'm all about learning.

Anonymous said...

I guess, I should say thanks for not showing me the secret handshake :)

Punch! I mean, yeah that's the first thing I though of in that moment. It's cool... I don't know how I might have reacted. I'm sure more fun times remain.