Monday, January 19, 2009

Coffee Tasting Event

NEXT Thursday 1/29 (not this Thursday), we're having a coffee tasting at the DoubleShot.  This won't be a formal cupping, though at some point in the future we will do that with you guys.  This will simply be an event in which you can come and taste several of our coffees side-by-side.  Sip one, sip the next, sip another...  It's a good way to taste the subtle flavor variations, differences in body and acidity.  I'll describe each of the coffees you'll be tasting to the best of my ability and you can form your own opinions.  Figure out why you like (or don't like) Ethiopians so much.  Finally distinguish the Costa Rica from the Guatemala.  Ask questions.  And I'll try to answer.

The coffee tasting event will be from 7-8p NEXT Thursday.

I'm roasting the first batch (of 3) of the Finca La Estrella tonight- Rafael Herrera's coffee from La Concordia Colombia.  Remember I only have 54 pounds green.  That's only about 46 pounds roasted.  So you'll want to try it soon.  It will be for sale by the pound for $25 ($23 on Tuesday).  And I'm sure we'll brew it sometime this week.  Or get a jump-start by ordering a presspot.

February is going to be a busy month for us.  I've been invited to go to Costa Rica, and I've accepted.  So I'll be flying down there on Saturday, Feb 7 and will return on the 14th.  Not only will I be visiting Hacienda La Minita, but I'm also very much looking forward to seeing a recent acquisition of La Minita, called Finca Rio Negro.  Rio Negro is in the south part of Costa Rica, near the Panama border.  The coffee they produce is called La Sonrisa (which means "The Smile"), and I'm really excited to try it.  I'll bring some back for you to try.

Upon my return on the 14th, I'll only be home for a couple days - long enough to roast.  And then I'll be taking a trip I've been wanting to take for a long time.  I'm planning to drive to Kansas City and catch the train to my hometown, Galesburg Illinois.  I haven't been there in years.  Since before the DoubleShot opened, so at least 5 years.  I'll spend a couple days there, hopefully running into a bunch of people I grew up with.  Then I'll hop back on the train to Chicago.  Feb 20-22 is CoffeeFest Chicago.  Remember CoffeeFest Seattle?  It's just like that, except cooler.  Isaiah will once again compete in the latte art competition.  And I'm sure we'll come home with some ridiculous stories (and hopefully a first place trophy).  

Tulsa Opera has an art show up on the walls of the DoubleShot right now.  We are having a party for them here on Friday, Feb 6 from 6-730p.  The opera singers will perform and we'll have coffee, wine, and snacks for your enjoyment.  Make sure you come for this.  It's a short period of time on a Friday night and I really want to show support for the Tulsa Opera.  If you haven't been to an opera here, you should go.  It's amazing.  I love it.  Sitting in the audience, I am amazed at the talent these people have and the amount of practice and dedication that has gone into the production- from the sets to the costumes to the orchestra to the performance itself (not to mention the amount of money it takes to put on one three-day performance).  The next Tulsa Opera production is "Hansel & Gretel" February 21, 27, and March 1.  You should go.

Recap:
Coffee Tasting 1/29 @ 7p
Colombia La Estrella available TOMORROW
Tulsa Opera party at DoubleShot 2/6 @ 630p
Hansel & Gretel 2/21, 27 and 3/1
Me in Costa Rica (presentation to follow)
Isaiah competing in Chicago (he'll be the best, but will they declare him the winner?)

4 comments:

Miguel said...

Brian

Wow, an eventful month indeed. I am looking forward to tasting and learning about how to properly describe the various coffees.

As far as Chicago (CoffeeFest), I'm excited about going home as well. It will be a busy time for sure but you're going to have to allow me to treat you to some of the best pizza in chi-town.

With regard to the Tulsa Opera, never attended but can appreciate the hard work and effort those folks tirelessly put forth.

Anyhow, I'm a blogger bro. Apparently, so are you or you just blog- however you want to talk about it- the point is-

the people that read these posts should leave comments. Leave a comment as evidence that you were here.

-Mikey

Unknown said...

very cool. I am so excited for you Brian. you are so devoted to this whole coffee thing and I have to thank you for opening my eyes to a whole new world when it comes to coffee.

I am so satisfied with the coffee we have shipped out to California every month from your shop. I look forward to getting the mail every Thursday.

Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication to your passion. It makes a big difference in my life and I imagine several others too.

Props to you man. You rock.

Shelley

Unknown said...

I like coffee.

Does that constitute a proper blog post, Miguel? It would be my first ever.

Thanks for your hard work, Brian, and enjoy the travels!

Mark

Miguel said...

Mark,

Do I know you? What in the hell are ya talking about? It was a suggestion, as far as posting but blog posting is entirely different. Look it up sometime if you wish to learn more. :) Actually, your comment is weak. J/K haha..

-Mig