Friday, September 11, 2009

Follow-up to The Perfect Cappuccino

Good afternoon! Thanks to everyone who came to watch The Perfect Cappuccino! If you were unable to make it, I think you can still purchase it at Doubleshot, or online at www.cappuccinomovie.com. It's wonderful!
Watching it reminded me of a book I read awhile ago (actually, long enough ago that I no longer remember it vividly, so this is going to be a 'book review' in a very superficial sense...): Starbucked by Taylor Clark. It's at the Central Library. If you watched the movie and are curious to learn more about this omnipresent company for whatever reason (I read it to fuel an anti-Starbucks bias, although it is a fairly balanced book), you should check it out! Since I don't remember anything, here is a trivia quote from the back of the book: "Americans now drink so much coffee that scientists have detected caffeine in many of the nation's rivers, lakes, and bays--and even in treated drinking water." Interesting--
Secondly, if you watched the movie you'll remember when Amy showed clips from old coffee commercials. Here are some Blues lyrics written by Mississippi John Hurt, copyrighted in 1963...back in the days where prepackaged coffee was the only option. *Shudder* They're in the same vein as those old commercials: "This is the 'Coffee Blues,' I likes a certain brand--Maxwell's House--it's good till the last drop, just like it says on the can. I used to have a girl cookin' a good Maxwell House. She moved away. Some said to Memphis and some said to Leland, but I found her. I wanted her to cook me some good Maxwell's House. You understand, if I can get me just a spoonful of Maxwell's House, do me much good as two or three cups this other coffee..."
Don't know if that was originally written as a commerical for Maxwell's House, or if the songwriter really did love Maxwell's enough to include it in a song, but...there you have it. :)

Finally, an interaction-question: A personal "goal" is to learn how to say "I like Coffee" in as many languages as possible. If you are able to say/write "I like coffee" in a foreign tongue, please share! I think in German it's "Der Kaffee schmeckt mir gut"--literally, the coffee tastes good to me.
Thanks, and I hope you all have a great day!

4 comments:

Daniel Myers said...

In French, "J'adore le café!"

Garth Björklund said...

I love coffee in Russian—Я люблю кофе

tara said...

thanks! whoa...i cannot pronounce that russian though...

Daniel Myers said...

A friend of my spring this bit of Japanese on my today:
コーヒーに関しては、私はそれを好む
(I think its pronouced, watashi wa ko-hi ga suki desu)
He says it means, " as for coffee, I like it."