Saturday, December 26, 2009

Happy Day Off Day

It's been a rough season, work-wise, around here.  Isaiah, Garth, and I have been working way too much, and on top of it, they are preparing to compete in the South Central Regional Barista Competition in Austin January 7-10.  We're all tired, and for sure enjoyed the day off yesterday.

But we haven't lost our zeal for coffee.  I hope you all got the chance to try the Panama Gesha La Esmeralda.  That was our special coffee this year.  I thought it was really good.  I also roasted the El Boton Natural that I hauled back from Colombia in my suitcase.  We'll have more of that (a lot of it) probably mid-January.
I just read a blog entry written by a guy I've never heard of, but I really enjoyed it and I agree with what he wrote.  I thought the comments below it were interesting too.  Many of the big players in the industry seemed to try and defend their positions.  Here it is:

Here's something too about new botanical discoveries this year, including varietals of coffee:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8424817.stm

I am speaking at Philbrook Museum on January 14 (Thursday) at 530p for a group called Tulsa Green Drinks.  Generally they get together for drinks and listen to someone speak about something related to sustainability.  They're giving me 20 minutes, which you know isn't much if you've ever come to listen to me speak in the past.  I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to talk about yet, but it will most likely skim the issues with buying coffee and the responsibility I feel regarding coffee producers.  You should come.  I'd like to fill the house and see a lot of familiar faces there.  And hopefully I'll discuss some things, in a different format, than you've been exposed to.  You can pick up passes to attend at the DoubleShot if you want to come.  Read about it here:  http://tulsagreendrinks.blogspot.com/2009/12/january-green-drinks-at-philbrook.html

No comments: