Thursday, August 7, 2008

Acclimatization

I've decided to go to Colorado early.  I'm flying there on Sunday.  This will be the first time I will have gotten there more than one day before the 100, so I hope I acclimate some and hope it makes the whole thing just slightly less difficult (to breathe) than it would be otherwise.  Every little bit helps.
How am I feeling?  I've been battling pain that's working it's way up my back, into my neck and into my jaw.  But April over at Glo Salon across the street from the DoubleShot has been working on it, and I think it's getting better.  Other than that, I don't know.  I feel ok.  Someone asked me yesterday if I can finish the 100.  That's the question.  Can I finish?  If I knew that, there might be no reason to go do it.  I think I can, but it depends on a lot of different factors.  Our bodies really weren't made to do this sort of thing.  Some of the factors are physiological and I have very little control over them- how will I feel that day and how will my body respond to the effort?  A lot of the other factors are managing an ultimately losing battle; prolonging the inevitable.  How long can I hold off a complete system breakdown?  It's impossible to eat enough food during the race, and it's very difficult to digest food while running.  All I can hope for is to take in enough calories and protein that my body doesn't break down too much of its own fat and muscle fiber for energy- putting me in a state of ketosis and taking away parts of my engine.  Lots of other factors like hydration, electrolytes, NSAIDs, caffeine, and taking care of my feet and other parts of my body that will be rubbing together constantly...  Most of it is an educated guess.  And then there is my mind.  Keeping my mind in the race, confident, and going forward is another thing altogether, without which I can't go another step.  

I'm planning to record my thoughts periodically throughout the race and edit them down into a Leadville 100 "jogcast" on the AA Cafe podcast when I get back.  Finish or not, you'll hear the ups and downs, highs and lows, crazy thoughts, rational concerns, and general thoughts that occupy my mind throughout a 100 mile foot race in the Rocky Mountains.  

Can I do it?  There's only one way to find out.

Thanks again for all the pledges.  There's still time to pledge, if you haven't yet.  Tell your friends and their parents.

I appreciate all the support.

1 comment:

T Z said...

Sending good zombie-vibes your way. Kick some ass, Brian. You have it in you!