Saturday, August 16, 2008

The End

Well, it was a tough day. Storms blew in every time I climbed a pass. And I think aside from that, I just had an off day. Was running some behind because I couldn't climb as fast as usual and the weather was ridiculous. I'm sure I'll elaborate more later.
But around mile 30 I blew up. Had to sit down a couple times because I was light-headed and whatnot. I came out of it, but a half hour had passed and I was pushing cutoff times too closely. Climbed pretty strong off Half Moon road over the pass toward Twin Lakes. Started looking like I was going to miss the cutoff there-- and the recurring lightning, rain, hail, and sleet were not helping.
Then at the top of the pass, I ran into my friend Robin Saens. She had altitude sickness and had been vomiting all day. So I walked down into Twin Lakes with her, and we definitely missed the cutoff.
I felt really bad because of all the good work my crew has done. But I can't control the weather. And sometimes I have an off day.
Thanks a ton to Matt for updating the blog.
And especially to my team:
Jason Westenburg the crew chief
Jason Goodnight my first pacer that didn't get to run (but helped immensely)
Brad Messner my second pacer (see above note)
Brad's dad Jerry (moral support)
Marvin Lee (out running now because he was so excited to run the course)
I'm sorry to let you all down. Thanks for all your help.

Brian, signing off.

4 comments:

T Z said...

Dude, I'm so sorry things didn't work out. Sometimes the inner demons and all the external elements gang up and there's nothing you can do about it. I got whipped at States last summer, and am still bummed about it.

Find yourself another hundred and go for it.

T Z

mikesipodmini said...

Hey man, you didn't let anyone down! Attempting this race is an amazing feat! I know you did your best and yeah, sometimes things just don't click. No worries! We are all proud to tried!

Josh Varner said...

You're an inspiration and a god among men. We were rooting for you here in Stillwater and will be rooting for you next time around.

Unknown said...

Dude...

I have to echo the other comments.

Snow, hail, mud, rain and lightning and you kept going. Unreal. I hope you realize how tough you really are. Everyone else does.

Peace bro, recover and be well.

Rick